10/8/12

Chowda

A couple of weekends ago H, Maui, and I headed up to the Jersey shore. This is not the kind of dirty, slooty, diseased "Jersey Shore" you're probably thinking of. This is a beautiful place with long, white, sandy beaches and sprinkled with sweet teenie towns and lots of beachy (not bitchy) enthusiasm. 

My family and I have visited Long Beach Island my entire life. The amount of fond memories spent here with family are countless. LBI has also grown on H like a barnacle to a sunken ship. He particularly enjoys those moments spent (mostly drifting) on the surf board. Maui likes anything that involves swimming so, we had a pretty happy crew.

On LBI, after a long summer, once the crowds have died down, and when the kids have gone back to school this particular part of the shore celebrates the CLAM. 

Yes, I said "clam", not "ham", my brother does not know the difference.


In early October, LBI hosts the annual Chowderfest. Where they hoist two large white tents donned with red and white flags to signify which chowder competition is going on in which tent. If you look beyond the adorable clammy beauties you can see the "red" tent behind us. 

Here is my Aunt Julie getting ready to taste the winning white chowder. 

I do not know the boy in blue but, I do know he really, really likes chowder. He slurped down about a dozen cups in the two minutes I was standing in this spot. 

I actually think he may be lost, he was probably looking for crabs at the other "Jersey Shore" when he stumbled upon the clams at this one. (I kid, I kid)

Besides the chowda (and the beer) the best part about that weekend was seeing my family. Not only are they cute but, they are all a pretty darn good time. My brother, Christopher, even to flew out from Wyoming for the festivities. 


Chowderfest sure does bring out the best in everybody. Here's my Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Julie showing off their double fisting abilities.

I already can't wait until next year. And...

In honor of Miss Caitlin's bday (today)... Happiest wishes to you my lovely!


No comments:

Post a Comment